World news – Mick McCarthy marks the 1000th game in management with a point in Huddersfield





Shut down

Cardiff City manager Mick McCarthy points to the contact line during the Sky Bet Championship game at John Smith’s Stadium in Huddersfield.

Mick McCarthy marked the 1,000th game of his managerial career by extending his unbeaten start as Cardiff boss to eleven games with a goalless draw in Huddersfield in which Yaya Sanogo missed a penalty in the second half. </ However, the result meant the Bluebirds missed the opportunity to advance to the championship play-off positions as Huddersfield kept clean for the first time in 16 games.

However, the spot kick error means that the terriers could not implement all three penalties they received this season.

In a hectic first half an hour there was no lack of effort, but the quality of both teams was poor.

With less than two minutes on the clock, home goalkeeper Ryan Schofield reacted quickly, stretching a leg to block a six-yard chance for Cardiff skipper Sean Morrison after his teammates Joel Bagan’s left winger failed to clear.

Alex Vallejo also disrupted a shot by Joe Ralls as the Terriers survived an early attack by McCarthy’s men.

Meanwhile, Morrison dismissed a 15-yard attempt by Lewis O’Brien and allowed Dillon Phillips to rally on a routine basis.

The Cardiff goalkeeper went on to save to prevent Juninho Bacuna’s curling free kick after the Curacao international was pulled on deck by Will Vaulks.

At the other end, a Vaulks volley from six yards rattled against the crossbar after the ball fell out of the air after Harry Wilson’s blocked shot.

After Josh Murphy’s long-range shot deflected off target by Naby Sarr, Schofield had to show sharp reflexes as Vaulks scored a volley after Fraizer Campbell cleared Wilson’s corner.

There was a definite lack of goalkeeping action early in the second half and both teams continued their battle for a stranglehold on the game.

Huddersfield started to threaten more when Campbell got tangled up with Curtis Nelson in the penalty area, but referee Tim Robinson ignored the request for a home penalty.

Bacuna also rolled in a free kick from the left, which Richard Keogh, who leaned back and stretched, did well to just head off target.

The dynamism of the building was evident in the 74th minute when O’Brien exchanged passes with Sanogo and withdrew the ball for Aaron Rowe, who was thrown 10 meters from Nelson’s goal.

But the former Arsenal striker took a shot from penalty and shot past Phillips’ right post.

A frustrated Sanogo ran over the ball 20 yards later before being replaced while a deflected shot from Jaden Brown struck the side-netting with the visitors’ first-half chance in the 78th minute.

O’Brien pulled the strings in the Terriers midfield, releasing Pipa through the left channel for an opportunity that was well smothered by Phillips. Then he sent a cross, led by Sarr, so that an unmarked Campbell would be as wasteful as Sanogo when he cleared the crossbar with half a volley from seven meters.

Cardiff, who have not lost any of their last 15 games with Huddersfield, might even have stolen the win in added time, but Morrison’s overhead kick at close range was collected by Schofield.

Enter your email address

This field is required





An INM website



Donnez votre point de vue et aboonez-vous!


Votre point de vue compte, donnez votre avis

[maxbutton id= »1″]